­

 

 

 

 

 

Have you spotted our cannon in place at its embrasure in the Battery, guarding the approaches to Belhaven Bay? Originally there were 16 cannon installed for defence against Napoleon’s anticipated invasion. The story goes that Edinburgh Castle ‘appropriated’ all our cannon when the emergency was over.

 

 

 

Credits for our cannon’s manufacture and installation:--

  • Bob Fleet -- wood wizardry and painting (Bob spent several unhealthy days turning the barrel on his garage’s lathe, enveloped in sawdust and creosote.)
  • Kenny Maule -- plans, ideas and resources
  • Paddy Crerar & Eric Robertson -- generous free wood supplies
  • Micky McLaughlin -- sturdy metal brackets
  • Pam Maule -- added muscle to help Bob & Kenny for a weighty installation on 16th Oct.

Our cannon is a toddler compared to Mons Meg:  https://www.edinburghcastle.scot/see-and-do/highlights/mons-meg

Mons Meg was once seen as cutting-edge military technology. The six-tonne siege gun could fire a 150kg gunstone for up to 3.2km (2 miles). She is named after the Belgian town where she was made. In 1460, James II had Mons Meg hauled 50 miles to the siege of Roxburgh Castle, 3 miles a day. But the unlucky king was killed there when another of his cannon exploded. Meg’s barrel finally burst in 1681. Dangerous things these cannon!!

Photo 1 by Kenny Maule: Bob makes final adjustments to the trajectory.

Photo 2 by Alasdair Swan: 'Young cannoneers in training'.  Click <<READ MORE>>

 

­